[ale] whats better about KDE?

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Sat Jan 11 12:51:39 EST 2003

Just did a little test on a brand new install of SuSE 8.1  KDE is 3.0.3,
Gnome is 2.0

Following login, it took kde 38 seconds to get to the desktop, gnome
took 20 seconds.  2X the amount of time.

Now I will admit, this is not that bad on this box, a Celeron 400 with
.5 gig of memory.  But on slower boxes, with less memory it's painfully
apparent.

Mozilla under Gnome 14 seconds
Konqueror under KDE 8 seconds.

So, I'll admit my previous tests were on earlier versions of KDE and
slower machines.  I did do some comparisons between kde and gnome there
and the differences were much more substantial.

It may be more a memory issue then cpu, as the previous machines were at
128 mb.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at 3times25.net

Think about it...