[ale] Mounting USB devices

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Sat Jan 11 09:16:33 EST 2003

Trey Sizemore wrote:
> How can I tell how my USB devices are indentified in Linux?  I want to
> be able to mount my Sandisk USB mass storage device to get pictures off
> my camera's CF card.  I know through trial and error that my Zip 250 USB
> drive is seen as /dev/sda1 so I created a mnt/sda1 to access it.  I have
> several devices connected via USB including printer, mouse and scanner
> in addition to the devices mentioned.  Here is the applicable portion of
> dmesg:

Your sandisk device will probably by seen via the scsi emulation, so
it's probably going to be /dev/sda?.  Since your zip drive is /dev/sda1,
I'd try /dev/sda2.  Mount it with filetype vfat.

Wierd thing is, that it's recognized first below, so I would have
expected it to be sda1.  My personal experience seems to indicate that
it works in a 'first one in wins' scenario.  That is, it could be
/dev/sda1 at times, and /dev/sda2 at other times, depending on what
driver is loaded when.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at 3times25.net

Think about it...