[ale] whats better about KDE?

Jim jcphil at mindspring.com
Sat Jan 11 07:31:37 EST 2003

On Friday 10 January 2003 11:58 pm, Thomas Holmquist wrote:
> hey,
>
> I need to know whats better about KDE over Gnome.
>
> I dont need opinions..
>
> Im not saying KDE is better then Gnome, I just want a few catigories where
> KDE shines over gnome :)
>
> The reason is, my friend is insisting that Gnome is better in every way...
> I know thats not true, and I just want to prove him wrong ;)

In my opinion, KDE has done a much better job of handling the internal
plumbing so that all applications work together. Once you've installed it,
you can set almost everything globally in the Control Center. For instance,
KDE's print tool allows me to quickly set up a printer and I don't have to go
to the command line at all if I don't want to. And it works with any print
daemon out there, whether lpd, lprng, CUPS or whatever (although CUPS is
superior). After that, every KDE app will find the printer. Any non-KDE app
just needs to be set to "kprinter --stdin". The only place where this doesn't
work is Open Office (no fault of KDE). KDE apps are much more aware of each
other and the global settings than Gnome apps. Gnome shines with individual
applications like Gimp and Evolution, which are best of breed. But Gnome is
nowhere near KDE in the quality of its system tools, drag and drop and so on.
Once Kmail is more integrated with other office apps, then I would remove
Evolution from the above group. Kmail is already faster and more stable than
Evolution. And KDE's internal framework has made it easier for developers to
build apps and integrate them into each other. This is why KDE has its own
browser, Konqueror, and Gnome doesn't. The developers of Konqueror write that
developing it was a fairly short and simple task due to KDE's framework. And
it makes a wonderful file manager that just isn't the memory hog that
Nautilus is.

I could go on and on. But one big warning: The things I say about KDE just
aren't true if you install KDE with RedHat rpm's. RedHat either doesn't
understand or doesn't care how KDE was put together and its rpm's for KDE are
seriously mangled. The difference between KDE compiled from source and KDE
installed from RedHat rpm's is enormous.