[ale] 2 Odd Q's

Drag0n dragon at atlantacon.org
Fri Jan 10 11:08:54 EST 2003

possible input below

"Robert L. Harris" wrote:

> 1) Using PGP and GPG, is it possible to have 2 public rings, one that's
>    your personal public ring you read and write to, one that's a read only
>    file you'd treat like a keyserver?  We want to do a company wide
>    "file" to treat like a key server so that any kind of network outage
>    won't take it down.  Not my choice, it's something the guy designing
>    the project is looking for.  Everyone submits keys to a central key
>    server which outputs to a file which is verified, sanified and rsync'ed
>    out to remote mailservers for use.

i dont know if something like this is possible for pgp/gpg but there is
a project for ssh public keys to be distributed via DNS bind 9 but it
may be a similar project ( http://www.cs.jhu.edu/~smang/sshproject.html
)

> 3) Is it possible to find out exactly where a port is being blocked?
>    I'm trying to connect to port 25 on atlntap1.adc.nexteldata.net from my
>    home but it's timing out.  From work I can connect just fine.  Nextel is
>    convinced that my firewall is the cause even though I've tested with the
>    firewall completely disabled.  I'd like to tell them exactly what
>    machine is blocking my traffic.  Preferably without something
>    considered as nasty as nmap that they'd consider a hacking attack.

there are a couple of programs out there that may be helpful, hping (
http://www.hping.org/ ) is one that gives you the ability to ping and
traceroute based on port and protocol. You know nmap as the other one,
but i think there should be a way to limit the port and speed of scans
to more acceptable levels.

Drag0n
dragon at atlantacon.org
Carpe Aptenobites, Seize the Penguins!