[ale] Kppp - newbie in trouble

Charles Shapiro charles.shapiro at nubridges.com
Fri Jan 10 09:19:49 EST 2003

Bummer man. Looks like your PCI internal modem (the PCI Diamond Supra
Express 56k sp i) is designed to work on Microsoft Windows only. Here's
( http://www.tdl.com/~netex/modem/modem.html ) the web reference I found
from a quick google search. Your modem is referenced at about the fifth
line down under "Diamond Multimedia Supra Modems".

This modem uses the CPU through special proprietary windows-only drivers
for much of its function. That's why it's so cheap to buy.
If you're feeling brave, you may be able to get it to work by installing
additional software on your linux box; this
(http://www.idir.net/~gromitkc/winmodem.html) page could get you
started.

Of course, the path of least resistance is to grit your teeth and  spend
$100 or so on a real (operating-system independent) modem. That modem
will also function with freeBSD and other interesting OSs, should you
decide to explore them. I've had good luck with the US Robotics
'Sportster' line.

-- CHS