[ale] Kppp - newbie in trouble

William Coles wcoles at mindspring.com
Fri Jan 10 04:02:36 EST 2003

Greetings Hack-Heads and Nix Gurus!

Newbie here, looking for some pointers. I'm having trouble establishing a
ppp connection when booted into Slackware (7.0). I've been reading through
manuals and trying to figure things out on my own, but thus far to no avail.
I'm starting to wonder if the version of Linux I'm running just won't talk
to my modem. Before I go out and spend money on a new hardware external
modem, I'm trying to see if I can make things work. Any advice would be
greatly appreciated. Here's the low down so far:

My box:

Aesus board, Pentium II processor, 256 MB RAM, two HDD's. I'm dual booting
Win2k and Slackware (on separate partitions, but both on the first HDD).
Modem is a PCI Diamond Supra Express 56k sp i. In Windows, it is located on
Intel 82371AB/EB PCI to ISA bridge (ISA Mode). It's on COM 2 IRQ 5 I/O
03E8 - 03EF. the driver is winnt\system32\drivers\modem.sys It is a plug and
play modem as well.

The Issue:

Install of Linux went smooth as silk. Boots fine, LILO does it's thing.
Running X Window, using KDE and Kppp. No connectivity. Using Setup in Kppp,
I have changed the device and than ran Query Modem with the following
results:

dev/ttyS0
dev/ttyS1
dev/cua0

all report back "Modem ready" when running the query, but then when the
Modem Query Results window shows up, all the ATI fields are empty. Also all
other dev's report either 'Can't open modem' or 'Modem is busy'

I have tried going to Term as well. On the /dev/ttyS0, ttyS1 and cua0 it
reports "initializing modem" than "modem ready" but when entering ATI
commands, nothing happens.

What I've tried:

cat/proc/pci (as root) to see if I could find the port for the modem to do
setserial/ttyS0 (or ttyS1 or cua0) uart 16550A port (enter port hex) IRQ 5

The only thing I found that might be it is "serial controller: unknown
vendor unknown device. which listed a port hex code, but no IRQ. I tried to
setserial using this port and using cua0. Still nada in Kppp.

Is there hope???

Any advice will be greatly appreciated. I'm loving my Linux, but it should
would be better online...

Thanks for your time,

Bill