[ale] OT: project management on a smaller scale - tangentialM$ Rant!!!

Keith Morris graphicsguy at attbi.com
Fri Jan 10 00:17:04 EST 2003

This has really nothing to do with the question asked but it brought to
mind what I have been dealing with for the past couple of months.

I am no longer a virgin. I have had my first initiation into the new M$
licensing RACKET. We have been needing to implement an enterprise-wide
project management system.  Those-who-must-be-obeyed had their hearts
set on M$ Project with project server and Project Clients and Project
Web CAL's.

so we spent <obscene>MONEY</obscene> to get Project Pro Server and
CAL's.  Well,lo-and-behold upon authorizing our Volume licensing plan,
it says "Congratulations, you are now authorized to use your Microsoft
Products through December 2004!!!" Wow.  Thanks.  I'll drop the disks in
the overnight disk drop in redmond on new years eve.

Not only that, but I now have to buy a new server, buy (rent) a license
of Win2K server, and a license of SQL server...(anyway to get it to run
with PostgreSQL?? LOL).

Although, one good thing has come out of it after explaining the
licensing thing to a few people, I actually saw the light come on behind
some of their eyes...like they finally understood what that
"Linux-crazed guy" had been going on and on all about....I guess a good
concrete example never hurt anyone...

Thanks for the rant space... ;)  g'nite.

--
Keith Morris <graphicsguy at attbi.com>