[ale] X and desktop redraws

Jason Day jasonday at worldnet.att.net
Thu Jan 9 11:13:58 EST 2003

On Thu, Jan 09, 2003 at 09:27:04AM -0500, jb at sourceillustrated.com wrote:

> Guys,
>
> On my new laptop, I've noticed that if I drag a window along the desktop,
> the CPU usage spikes and redraws go very slowly.  Moving windows seems to
> take a lot of CPU power.  In addition, some of the screensavers redraw
> sluggishly as well (can see refresh lines).
>
> This is a P4 2.0 ghz, Geforce 4 32 mb with the nvidia driver installed, so

What version of the nvidia driver is installed?  Version 4191 seems to
be buggy and much slower than the previous 3123.  On my lowly PIII 666,
when I "upgraded" to version 4191, moving windows became sluggish as you
describe, with a very noticable delay between moving the mouse pointer
and the window following it around on the screen.

Jason

    -- Weyoun-6, Star Trek: Deep Space 9