[ale] Is there a reason why some people use attachments for email messages?

Chuck Huber chuck at cehuber.org
Wed Jan 8 23:20:03 EST 2003

On Wed, Jan 08, 2003 at 06:18:09PM -0500, Geoffrey wrote:
> Some mailers do it automagically, or, autostupidly, as I don't care for
> it either.

It's a combination of the sender's email client and the
receiver's email client.

The attachmets show up whenever an email is generated that's
multi-part MIME encoded.  Each part can have a "Content-disposition:"
header.  If the value if the header is "inline", the content should
be displayed along with the body text.

Typically MIME encoded email is used when there's supplemental data
associated with the message.  One such case is this message - there's
a digital signature that proves that the body text (in a separate
MIME attachment) was actually originated by me, and not by someone
pretending to be me.

Outlook usually does this because it formats every message in plain
text as well as RTF.  The RTF portion shows up as a "message.dat"
attachment and includes formatting, color, font, and the other
usual MS stuff.

Newer clients can understand the "inline" disposition while older
clients can not.  Outlook, Outlook Express, Ximian Evolution, mutt,
and exrc are all aware of this header and its meaning.  Older versions
of Outlook and many other simple emailers (pine?) are not and thus leave
the inline content as an attachment.  Evolution mutt, and exrc are also
GnuPG and PGP ready.  (My personal opinion is that every message should
be digitally signed.  Those that aren't should be considered anonymous.
Anything that you don't want overheard, such as personal finances and
corporate trade secrets, should be encrypted and signed.)  If you don't
quite understand why encryption is important, read my signature below.

If you're receiving body text as an attachment, it's a little nudge that
you might think about upgrading to the newer standard. (yes, I said
standard).

Hope this helps.

Enjoy,
    - Chuck

--
"The purpose of encryption is to protect good people
from bad people, not to protect bad people from the government."

 PGP signature