[ale] blocking adds at the Firewall?

David S. Jackson dsj at sylvester.dsj.net
Wed Jan 8 16:23:36 EST 2003

On Wed, Jan 08, 2003 at 11:05:21AM -0500 rhiannen <rhiannen at atlantacon.org> wrote:
> Look for "blockfile" on Google, there are tons of lists of blocked
> sites in these files.
>
> Or, check out a few applications which do it for you:
>   http://www.junkbusters.com/ijbfaq.html#blocking
> (should be able to figure out how it works, or just use Junkbuster
> itself)
>   http://www.cs.hmc.edu/~smikes/property/filtering/products.html
> (more of similar applications)
>
> There's some older info on manually blocking ads here:
> http://www.ecst.csuchico.edu/~atman/spam/adblock.shtml

I've used Junkbuster for quite a while too, but I've recently started
using squid+squidguard, and privoxy.  I don't think it was mentioned
before, but Privoxy was actually based on Junkbuster code, but it adds
some features above and beyond.  I think it might be easier to keep
users' web browsing cleaner by using a proxy than by blocking at the
firewall.

David S. Jackson                        dsj at dsj.net