[ale] blocking adds at the Firewall?

Cory T. Echols ctechols at mindspring.com
Wed Jan 8 10:49:50 EST 2003

On 01/08, Christopher Bergeron wrote:
> Hey guys, I think this is an easy question, but for some reason I'm
> drawing a blank on the best way to go about it.  I basically want to
> block advertisements from doubleclick.net, atwola, et tal... What's the
> best way i should do this?  Should I deny the packets at the firewall,
> or should I put an entry into my internal DNS for these servers?

Although you may have already considered this and dismissed it for some
reason, I would suggest install privoxy (www.privoxy.org).  It not only
filters ads by host, but can look at image size and other
characteristics.  It can also manipulate cookies and clean up hostile
javascript.  It's insanely configurable, and the performance overhead
involved is barely noticable to me with most sites.

--
Cory T. Echols          | "Our new Constitution is now established, and has
ctechols at mindspring.com | an appearance that promises permanency; but in