[ale] Suspend on the Dell Inspiron 8200

Charles Shapiro charles.shapiro at nubridges.com
Wed Jan 8 08:55:05 EST 2003

I have suspend workin' on my Inspiron 3800 no problem. I originally
installed Debian 2.2 on the box, then installed 3.0 without
repartitioning. The suspend stuff happens from ROM, so once it's set up
you're golden unless you repartition the disk.

The real trick was getting the partition table right. Suspend uses a
special magic partition to hold memory state. You can set its type with
fdisk(8) -- IIRC it's something like "OS/2 hidden C:", and its minimum
size is governed by the memory size of the machine. Alas, the doc says
that suspend only works from a text-mode screen. So if you're in X, you
must use <ctrl>-<alt>-F1 to get to a console terminal before suspending.
This link ( http://legoland.mednet.ucla.edu/loening/linux-3800.html )
has good doc on creating the majic suspend-to-disk partition.

Power-off at shutdown worked great in Debian 2.2 with a 2.2 kernel, but
alas it seems to be broke with 2.4.20.  I've fiddled with menuconfig
extensively but so far no joy. The feature works fine on my work desktop
machine running 2.4.18. Go figure.

-- CHS