[ale] tripwire is " trippin' "

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Wed Jan 8 07:50:52 EST 2003

ChangingLINKS.com wrote:
> There was 'no' chain of events. Today, I was actually upgrading RedHat box 1
> (for the 3rd time) to try to fix the crashes. Box1 started to install the
> packages and crashed. I looked over and Box2 was hung at the exact same time.

Really need more info.  Is box2 running rh?  What version.  Was it
crashing prior to the first upgrade?  What dist was running before?

> [I just checked and Box2 the 'date' on box2 was 10 minutes ahead - so I guess
> Box1 affected Box2 {they are connected thru NFS} as opposed to chron].

I would suspect it is highly unlikely that one machine caused the other
to crash because of an nfs connection.  I've seen nfs make a machine
appear to lock up as it was waiting for a timeout.

> Box2 is my "stable" box. That means try not to tinker with it.
>
> The more troubled box is an XP1600 (1.4Ghz) 512Ram, GeForceII 64Ram with
> NVIDIA drivers.

Are you adding the mem=nopentium to your boot process?  This appeared to
resolve some problems I was having with my athlon xp 1800+.

> I am really not sure what to do. Box1 crashes as if it is a Windows box, as
> if it does not have as much memory. In the past I was able to get a snapshot
> of the processes - but I have since removed tripwire.

Is it running X?

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at 3times25.net

Think about it...