[ale] ALE MONTHLY MEETING for THURSDAY, 1/9/03

aaron aaron at pd.org
Tue Jan 7 10:04:47 EST 2003

January's main meeting of ALE is set for the usual
2nd Thursday of the month, January 9th, 7:30 pm,
at the Emory Law School building.

Our main presentation topic is SAMBA file and print sharing with Linux
and our presenter is Troy Thompson from Sonova Systems (outline and
biography below).

As always, maps and related details are available on the www.ale.org
web site.

Hope to see you there!
peace
aaron

---------------------
Presentation outline:

January's presentation topic is Samba, a cross-platform file and print
services package which employs the SMB/CIFS protocol, the main networking
protocol used by Microsoft systems. A Samba server can be run on Linux to
replace Windows based servers and provide domain control, network logon
shares, scripting and one-way dropboxes across a multi platform network.

The target audience is computer users who would like to provide file and
print sharing on a home or business network which contains Windows boxes
while remaining exempt from the "Microsoft Server Tax" [tm]. The material
is appropriate for novice users, so prior familiarity with Windows and/or
Linux networking is not essential.

Points to be covered include:
* A Basic overview of the Microsoft methods of NetBIOS/SMB
  networking and how Samba fits into the picture.
* Overview of what Samba provides
* Live installation of Samba
* Configuration of Samba as a domain controller
* Configuring the clients
* Adding clients to the domain
* Creating home directories
* Creating login scripts
* Creating shared inbox directories (one-way dropbox style)
* Firewalling issues (Lest You Be 0wn3d by Nimda!)

Advanced points as time and interest permit:
* Creating user-specific login scripts
* Creating machine-specific login scripts
* Password changes from the Windows client
   (this can be a Black Art, but we'll try!)

----------
Bio:
Troy Thompson is the webmaster and primary Internet Consultant of Sonova
Systems, LLC, a local metro Atlanta-based consulting company. Troy cut
his teeth on...
-- a Commodore 64 in grade school,
-- the Internet via Delphi when it was a VMS text-based dialup,
-- AOL when it ran on the GEOS shell,
-- Netscape and I.E. side-by-side when they were still at version 1,
-- and beta testing of Windows 95.

(Yes, he's just a young pup!)

He still has a functioning Commodore 128, and today takes in many
orphaned computers to give them new homes -- much to the chagrin of his
very understanding wife, Jessica!

Sonova Systems specializes in business systems analysis, technical
support, and targeted solutions on a variety of platforms  including
Linux, Macintosh, OS-X and most Microsoft OS distributions [ see
www.sonovasystems.com ].  Troy is the primary Linux/web consultant at the
company, where he maintains several customer domains from the firewall to
the web application interface.

-------