[ale] IBM java virtual machines

Michael D. Hirsch mhirsch at nubridges.com
Tue Jan 7 09:57:32 EST 2003

On Tuesday 07 January 2003 08:32 am, John Wells wrote:
> anyone tried IBM's virtual machine?  How's it compare with Sun's under
> Linux?

Back in the java 1 days I used to use it.  It was way better than Sun's
release.  Now that Sun is really supporting Linux I don't bother.  I
couldn't see any real difference with early 1.3 releases, and Sun's
hotspot seems like a very good optimizer.

> I just bought Zend Studio for Linux and under my current jre the fonts
> look like crap.  Thought maybe a switch to IBM's jvm might do the trick.

I doubt it.  The trick is to get good fonts installed and to get java to
use them.  I haven't explored java fonts enough to know how to do it.

--Michael