[ale] Canon Powershot S45 usb......HELP!!!

Keith Morris graphicsguy at attbi.com
Tue Jan 7 00:48:50 EST 2003

Hi it's me, the resident (eternal) newbie. I bought a Canon PowerShot
S45 digital camera and have been trying to use it with linux.

I am using RH8 which is preconfigured with gphoto2, but it only
recognizes up to the Canon S40, so it won't autoDetect.

What I'd really like to do is just mount the camera and copy the files
off, but I don't know which device to mount.  This is an ongoing problem
for me as I use external portable firewire drives as well and the get
"lost" in /dev.

How does one know which /dev to mount?  is there a utility to list
active devices so I can at least narrow it down a bit?

when I do a "dmesg" after pluggin in my camera I am given the following:

        hub.c: USB new device connect on bus1/2/2, assigned device
        number 5
        usb.c: USB device 5 (vend/prod 0x4a9/0x306c) is not claimed by
        any active driver.

so I know it is being recognized by the system I just haven't figured
out how to use it.

Any advice you could offer would be much appreciated as this is quite
frustrating to me.

Peace
--
Keith Morris <graphicsguy at attbi.com>