Converting "Dozies" (was Re: [ale] OT: winxp upgrade...)

Greg runman at telocity.com
Mon Jan 6 12:29:24 EST 2003

Dear gentle Linux user;

	Well, if you have never paid for a distro, then how do you expect to
continue to download for free in the future ???  As Mandrake is getting
ready to go down the drain I expect the others to follow in some capacity
(i.e. no free eternal downloads) at some time in the future. Yes, I know
that the GPL says you have to make the source available, but it is ... on
the disks when you buy a distro.  There is no requirement to make it
available on to the world on a ftp server.  I mean, it takes money for the
boxes, the Sys Admins, the electricity & facilities, the bandwidth, and the
development of Linux.  I don't care about all that BS from Stallman, it
takes money to ride the train, and the lease holders/tax
collectors/utilities won't accept "goodwill".  Obviously Mr. Stallman never
had any trouble paying bills or took an economics course.

	Look at Smoothwall's history.  They started out dependant on "good will"
and found out it takes money to do a project.  Goodbye warm & fuzzy inc and
hello corporate world. I would suggest that if you use Linux, you should
support those who "give" you stuff - and I mean "give" as in the sense "THEY
foot the bill and YOU use for free".

	If you use Linux, you should support it.  It's like the lessons in that
parable about the common green or some such title, where if everyone just
takes and takes then it is all used up.  I would, gentle Linux user, suggest
you start to buy distros and help out at installfests.  I can understand
some not buying distros, but if you can afford 2 pizzas, you can afford a
distro.

	As for the rest of the stuff ... well .... what goes around comes around
and if they want to put up with MS crap, then so be it, but just don't waste
my time crying about it to me.   I am resigned to living in a society of
mindless drone-lemmings and so don't worry anymore about what I cannot
change.

Greg Canter