[ale] OT: Winxp Aside

Greg runman at telocity.com
Mon Jan 6 11:23:39 EST 2003

and I
installed Win98 (with NO updates and as an upgrade on a Win 95 install) on a old
Celeron 600 MHz box just so that I could play most of my old (i.e. Win 95)
games.  MS has NO backward compatibility, so all but a few of my games
cannot be played on a "modern" box.  It's sad to have to have several
installs for games, each dependant on the games "era".
<SPAN
class=281151916-06012003>
And that
folks explains my attitude about M$haft.
<SPAN
class=281151916-06012003>
Greg
Canter
<BLOCKQUOTE dir=ltr
style="PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
  <FONT face="Times New Roman"
  size=2>-----Original Message-----From: ale-admin at ale.org
  [mailto:ale-admin at ale.org]On Behalf Of Kilroy, ChrisSent:
  Monday, January 06, 2003 11:04 AMTo:
  'ale at ale.org'Subject: RE: [ale] OT: Winxp
Aside
  > ->Win98 is pretty much dead in
  the water as far as M$ is ->concerned. But
  it ->sure plays games well. <FONT
  size=2>-> I dont think Win98 is a better gaming OS
  than XP Pro.  Mostly because of memory issues.  If you have a decent
  gaming box, you have at least 500mb of memory, and probably have at least
  128mb on your video card.   Win98 is not gonna use that properly.

  the ONLY reason i own a MS license is because of one of the
  games i like to play, and it runs so much better on XP than 98 it isnt even
  funny.  oh yeah and it actually can stay up for days in a row without
  crashing.
  - ->My understanding is that the XP
  Home upgrade will upgrade from 98. The ->XP Pro
  upgrade will upgrade from win2k. To blow away a hosed partition
  ->and reinstall using XP will require the full version.
  -> ->Sadly, this is what
  you want unless you want to install 98 and THEN <FONT
  size=2>->upgrade to XP the next time the box gets fried. <FONT
  size=2>-> ->You can get win2k from places like
  HL Computer ($179-OEM). -> <FONT
  size=2>->On Sun, 2003-01-05 at 19:26, David S. Jackson wrote:
  ->> I have a friend whose existing Win98 fe
  installation is ->pretty well and <FONT
  size=2>->> truly hosed.  I recommended that he dump 98fe to
  something ->a little more <FONT
  size=2>->> stable, and XP was all there was in the store.  His 98
  ->installation is ->>
  so hosed that I don't think it would support an XP upgrade. <FONT
  size=2>-> Can I just ->> reformat the
  partition and install XP to a fresh partition ->and
  let XP ->> ask me for an original 98 CD to prove
  he qualifies for the upgrade? ->> Will the
  upgrade version of XP even do that?  Or will it <FONT
  size=2>->require that he ->> gets the "full
  version" of XP? ->> <FONT
  size=2>->> I don't want to make things any worse for him than they are,
  so I'd ->> better know that info up front before
  I wipe the partition ->for him.  :-)
  ->> ->> TIA!
  ->-- ->James P. Kinney
  III   \Changing the mobile computing world/ <FONT
  size=2>->President and CEO
  \          one Linux
  user         / <FONT
  size=2>->Local Net Solutions,LLC
  \           at a
  time.          / <FONT
  size=2>->770-493-8244
  size=2>->GPG ID: 829C6CA7 James P. Kinney III (M.S. Physics)
  -><jkinney at localnetsolutions.com>
  ->Fingerprint = 3C9E 6366 54FC A3FE BA4D 0659 6190 ADC3
  829C 6CA7 -> ->
  ->