[ale] OT: Winxp Aside

Kilroy, Chris Chris.Kilroy at turner.com
Mon Jan 6 11:03:55 EST 2003

->Win98 is pretty much dead in the water as far as M$ is
->concerned. But it
->sure plays games well.
->
I dont think Win98 is a better gaming OS than XP Pro.  Mostly because of memory issues.  If you have a decent gaming box, you have at least 500mb of memory, and probably have at least 128mb on your video card.   Win98 is not gonna use that properly.

the ONLY reason i own a MS license is because of one of the games i like to play, and it runs so much better on XP than 98 it isnt even funny.  oh yeah and it actually can stay up for days in a row without crashing.

-
->My understanding is that the XP Home upgrade will upgrade from 98. The
->XP Pro upgrade will upgrade from win2k. To blow away a hosed partition
->and reinstall using XP will require the full version.
->
->Sadly, this is what you want unless you want to install 98 and THEN
->upgrade to XP the next time the box gets fried.
->
->You can get win2k from places like HL Computer ($179-OEM).
->