[ale] system lacks kernel support for PPP?

John Wells jb at sourceillustrated.com
Sun Jan 5 14:36:45 EST 2003

I was attempting to get pptp-client going with mppe support.  It provides
an rpm call ppp-mppe.  I installed it, but had some problems with
dependencies, so I uninstalled it.  Apparently, the ppp-mppe is a modified
pppd, because it uninstalled my pppd.

So, reinstalled the base ppp package provided with Red Hat 8.0.  Now,
however, when I run pppd I get:

pppd: This system lacks kernel support for PPP.  This could be because
the PPP kernel module could not be loaded, or because PPP was not
included in the kernel configuration.  If PPP was included as a
module, try `/sbin/modprobe -v ppp'.  If that fails, check that
ppp.o exists in /lib/modules/`uname -r`/net.
See README.linux file in the ppp distribution for more details.

I made no modifications to the kernel, and it supported it before.  Anyone
seen this or know what I'm missing?  I verified that /dev/ppp is there, so
I'm not sure what else might be going on.

Thanks,

John