[ale] Kernel and hardware woes

Stephen F Nicholas syssfn at panther.Gsu.EDU
Sun Jan 5 00:43:34 EST 2003

Jenn,

Actually this reminds me of a problem I encountered a couple of years
ago.  I had to replace a cpu fan on a P2 233.  After I did, it would
crash immediately while booting 98.  Linux would boot and run
fine. Hmmmm.  After much hair pulling and reading ale ( and other sources
), decided to recompile the kernel (as a test.)  Linux crashed.

Long story made short....  The cpu fan came with a heatsink attached.  Was
not seated correctly physically, but appeared to be visually.  I'm not
saying this is your problem, since it appears your box is crashing MUCH
sooner than mine was.  Thought I'd throw it out to the you and the list,
as your problem appears to be complex, and in this case, anything can
pretty much go.

Steve

| Steve Nicholas             |                        |
| Software Systems Engineer  |  A risk is not a risk  |
| Georgia State University   |  until it is taken.    |
| snicholas at gsu.edu          |                        |
| 404-651-1062               |  BBROYGBVGW            |