[ale] hardware woes, final (hopefully) update

Jeff Hubbs hbbs at attbi.com
Sun Jan 5 00:28:04 EST 2003

The fan/heatsink assemblies that I've worked with generally have the
fans blowing into the heatsink and exhausting willy-nilly out the sides.

I've never been terribly happy with this, since it stands to reason that
some fraction of the air thus heated gets sucked back into the fan to be
heated some more.  And, I've lately become more sensitive to machine
noise, and so there's this battle between windspeed and noise that
people throw all kinds of money at.

But, you know, going by what that totally unopinionated and passive Jim
Kinney says, it's not altogether wise to succumb to the temptation to
run your machine "just cool enough" where it won't lock up.  You only
accelerate - maximize, really, when you think about it - the
atomic-level decay that Jim was referring to.

I have a Slot A K7/700 that would lock up when run at its RATED speed
and I wound up underclocking it for a good long time, having done
everything I could think of to cool the puppy down shy of watercooling,
but eventually it locked up regardless and I replaced it with a K7/750
that is burbling along at my feet as I type this, gently overclocked to
IIRC 787MHz, completing my 5989th SETI at Home work unit.  Well, maybe it's
not exactly "burbling."

The expense keeps me from going the water route, but I'm sorely tempted
to.  I have one full-tower case that I would love to modify by cutting
out a rectangular hole in the top for a big radiator and building an
airbox into the whole upper section, fed by two revved-down 80MM fans.
This would do the job of getting most of the CPU heat right out of the
box as opposed to the typical heat-exchanger-in-situ arrangement of
fan/heatsink on the CPU and trying to blow outside air past the whole
mobo.  Whereas I may try to fabricate my own reservoir and insert a
store-bought pump, the machined copper waterblocks that are available
and the radiators offered for sale would be hard to beat.

- Jeff