[ale] hardware woes, final (hopefully) update

J.M. Taylor jtaylor at onlinea.com
Sat Jan 4 22:09:22 EST 2003

There's a long story here, but I'll try to make it short.  I bought a big
ThermalTake fan for this CPU when I bought it, took it out of the box,
clipped it onto the CPU, attached the mb to the case, etc. No problems
(er, well, you know what I mean).  Tonight I went to re-seat it and put
more thermal goo on it to see if maybe it just wasn't cooling right, and I
find out that not only does the fan part unscrew from the heatsink part,
but the damn fan was on UPSIDE DOWN.  I almost cried.  All this time my oh
so expensive CPU fan was blowing hot air onto my CPU.

Before you laugh or throw things at me, I want to re-iterate that I did
not do this!  It came that way, and well I don't know much about fan
blades, i figured it was supposed to go that way.   My guess is that it
was a return and whoever had it before reassembled it incorrectly.

Having the fan on the right way 'round brought my CPU temperature down
SIXTY SEVEN degrees F.

I'm going to still run the memory check tonight in case the memory is
damaged too, and my CPU appears to have given up and died a horrible
death.

I really, really appreciate all the help.  I'm going to crawl off and weep
now for my stupid luck.

Jenn