[ale] Kernel and hardware woes

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Sat Jan 4 20:19:59 EST 2003

J.M. Taylor wrote:

> So. I can't test my memory in another box because this is the only machine
> in the house that accepts DDR.  The hard drives are fine, the IDE
> controllers appear to be fine. I have booted with a rescue disk and still
> get the kernel panics, fsck almost invariably produces the "Unable to
> handle kernel NULL pointer dereference at virtual address 00000004" error,
> followed by all the output that I posted earlier.  As I said before, it's
> not just fsck, but that triggers it every time.

Is that a single 512 stick of memory?  If not, pull some memory out and
reboot, see what happens.

> So if I understand correctly, I'm down to either: CPU is bad, chipset is
> bad, motherboard in general is bad, or RAM is bad.
>
> My CPU runs REALLY hot. Really, really hot.  Hotter than I expected.  Avg
> temp is 172 degrees F.  This is an AMD athlon 1.4Ghz, cooled by a
> ThermalTake somethingorother 4400rpm CPU fan.  Avg system temp is 99
> degrees F.  I don't actually know what's normal for these type processors.

Well, depends on how the temp is measured.  My cpu runs around 100 F (38
C), so you're a whole lot higher then mine.  On the amd website it shows
the max temp at 85-90 C (185-195 F), so you're getting close.
Understand though, your sensor could be off.  The manuf. for my mb told
me that my cpu sensor should not exceed 50 C (122 F).

Is there a good seal between the cpu and heat sink?  I dropped my cpu
temp. 12 C with a new fan and heatsink.

I'd suspect this might be your problem.  Try this:

Open the box, stick a large box fan such that is is blowing on your cpu.
  This dropped my temp a good 10 C.

See if you still oops.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at 3times25.net

Think about it...