[ale] DSL switch from Directv

Ben Coleman oloryn at benshome.net
Sat Jan 4 16:09:40 EST 2003

On Thu, 2 Jan 2003 12:54:35 -0500, Jordi S. Bunster wrote:

>And I have it plugged into a machine I set up for sharing the connection
>here. So I was doing NAT of NAT, until I discovered a web site that teaches
>how to set their DSL "modem" to bridge mode, and then get the real IP. For
>that mode, though, you need a PPPoE process running. In moments of intense
>traffic, CPU usage of pppd goes to 15% on my P-133 underclocked to 100Mhz.

You may be doing it already, but assuming you're using Roaring Penguin
PPPOE, you should make sure the n_hdlc kernel module is available, and
then make sure you specify SYNCHRONOUS=yes in your /etc/ppp/pppoe.conf
file.  This cuts CPU usage for PPPOE about in half, and can make a big
difference in whether an older machine can handle the connection or
not.

Ben
--
Ben Coleman oloryn at benshome.net      | The attempt to legislatively