[ale] rh7.3, newish machine, kernel panci please help!

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Sat Jan 4 09:31:26 EST 2003

Jenn,

I have had similar problems here. It is related to xscreensaver. There
are posibbly more than one screensaver that has a serious flaw that can
hard lock the box. My wife's machine is set on random screen saver and
used to lock. My box uses nothing but the OpenGL ones and has no
problem. I don't know which exact screen saver(s) were the issue.
Several I know works OK are matrix, all the opengl, pipes, morph3d,
blaster, galaxy, gears, grav, moebius, molecule, rocks (with 3D on is
cool!), speedmine, sproingies, stairs, T3D, xflame.  Also, make sure you
have the latest upgraded version of xscreensaver as Jamie fixed a lot of
bugs. The stock version in RH until 8.0 was a bit buggy around the
edges.