[ale] rh7.3, newish machine, kernel panci please help!

J.M. Taylor jtaylor at onlinea.com
Fri Jan 3 23:53:51 EST 2003

I have a machine that's built from pieces, it's less than 2 months old.
AMD Athlon XP 1700+/266mhz, Gigabyte GA-7VAX mainboard, 512 MB generic
RAM, ATI Radeon 9000 AGP video card, and whatever onboard crap comes with
the Gigabyte.

I've been having sort of flakey issues with it since I put it together,
but was running Suse 7.1 at the time and have been thoroughly frustrated
with any efforts trying to tinker with it (my fault, not Suse's) so loaded
RH 7.3 last weekend.  Typical, xscreensaver locks up, locks the whole
machine, can't ssh in to kill any processes, can't ctl+alt+del, etc (this
is why I left RH in the first place, over a year ago and on different
hardware!).  So this evening, same story as above, getting VERY
frustrated, and on reboot fsck fails.

I've cold booted multi-user, single user, and -b, every time is the same
story.
I have NO idea what i'm looking at here, I can find some mumblings about
problems with stock RH kernels on google, but nothing terribly helpful. I
updated all the errata that I don't compile from source on Wednesday.
(gcc, glibc, but *not* the kernel because I was going to compile my own
this weekend).
If anyone can help me even interpret what this stuff at the bottom of this
email means, I will be eternally grateful.  Right now I don't know if I'm
looking at a memory problem, a hard drive problem, a hdd controller issue,
or a kernel problem.

 / partition is fine, /boot partition is fine, /usr partition causes fsck
to seg fault and then the following messages appear (sorry no numbers in
the little call trace [<>], I had to write this all down on a sheet of
paper. If it's important, I can acquire the numbers in the call trace).

Stack <<lots of numbers here>>
Call Trace [<c013bdee>] end_buffer_io_async [kernel] 0x3e
[<>] end_that_request_first [kernel] 0x5a
[<>] ide_end_request [kernel] 0x58
[<>] read_intr [kernel] 0x196
[<>] rh_int_timer_do [usb_uhci] 0x0
[<>] ide_intr [kernel] 0x65
[<>] read_intr [kernel] 0x0
[<>] handle_IRQ_event [kernel] 0x3a
[<>] do_IRQ [kernel] 0x68
[<>] default_idle [kernel] 0x0
[<>] stext [kernel] 0x0
[<>] default_idle [kernel] 0x0
[<>] default_idle [kernel] 0x0
[<>] stext [kernel] 0x0
[<>] default_idle [kernel] 0x23
[<>] cpu_idle [kernel] 0x24

Code: 86 02 85 45 f0 74 18 6a 00 52 e8 7e f8 ff ff 83 c4 08 85 c0
<0> Kernel Panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!
In interrupt handler - not syncing

TIA
jenn