[ale] Machine With Drives @ e,f,g,h: help?

Danny Cox danscox at mindspring.com
Fri Jan 3 17:52:17 EST 2003

Howdy!

	I've gotten a 1U machine with 4 drives, and a slim CD rom drive.  The
controler for the CD rom has the usual layout: hd{a,b,c,d}, with the CD
rom on hda.  Another chipset, a Promise 20276 has the drives
hd{e,f,g,h}.  Red Hat 8.1 and 7.3 refuse to install on it (not finding
any drives), and at least one phrase in their installation notes implies
that I'm SOL because the BIOS (and therefore LILO and GRUB) can only
access the first four drives.

	What say ye?  Do I have any chance at all, or in the immortal words of
Norm (Cheers), "It's a dog-eat-dog world, and I'm wearing Milk-Bone
underwear!"

Danny