[ale] DirecTV & BellSouth

Chuck Huber chuck at cehuber.org
Fri Jan 3 16:17:20 EST 2003

On Fri, Jan 03, 2003 at 01:53:03PM -0500, Matt Kern wrote:
> I've used Starband...service is slow (ISDN speeds at best) and spotty.

Okay... end of discussion on that point.  For some reason I was under
the impression that it was on the order of T1 down and 256k up.

> As far as DTV....after getting the shaft, why would anyone support such
> an ethically bankrupt company.

I don't know anything they did that was ethically wrong.  They gave us 30
days notice which is required by the service agreement.
If a project's not making money, then you either have to increase
revenue by raising prices, reduce expenses, or close it down.  It's
called capitalism.  I think it was a wise move on their part.

I don't have any such hostile feelings like that.  I think they provided
me with a useful service at a good price.  I'm satisfied.

The only thing I can think of that might piss you off is that they're
the ones terminating the agreement, not you.  As long as they abide by
the agreement, then they're not doing anything unanticipated.

Yes, it's a hassel looking around for another DSL service.  In this entire
discussion I have yet to hear of one that's as good or better deal than
what we had with DTV.  Not to mention all the admin troubles of changing
ip addresses.

Granted, there are better outcomes to the scenario.  For instance, they
could have sold the project to someone else.  That being the case, then
you'd be obliged to fulfill your end of the agreement regardless of who
it was with (think BellSouth or Earthlink).  There's expenses to selling
it, too.  After all, who would want to buy a project that's not making
money?

Regardless of all that, we're all in the same boat... looking for another
DSL service.  I suppose I'm not as pressed for it since my DSL line was
redundant for another ISP.  But I'd still like to get that redundancy back.
It was really nice being up when either of the two ISP's were down.

Enjoy,
    - Chuck

--
"The purpose of encryption is to protect good people
from bad people, not to protect bad people from the government."

 PGP signature