[ale] OT: prefab contracting agreements?

tfreeman at intel.digichem.net tfreeman at intel.digichem.net
Fri Jan 3 11:05:46 EST 2003

I am not a lawyer. I am not offering any legal advice. In the case that
you find my past experiences usefull, you are completely on your own.

On Thu, 2 Jan 2003, John Wells wrote:

> I need to draw up a contract agreement for a company I'm preparing to work
> for.
>
> I've been surfing various "legal" document sites, but am wary of whether
> they are truly "legal".
>
> Anyone know of a good resource for legally binding contract agreements?
> Or does this *have* to be done by a lawyer to be done right?

Anybody can write a legally binding contract, but...
With the law's ideas of what constitutes logical and  careful language I'd
consider very seriously having my legal vulture read and critique _any_
major contract I was entering into. Also, it appears that usually the
lawyer is _not_responsible_ for errors - you are.

Actually, I've had the lawyer screw it up also. We paid good money for
wills, but found out when my wife died that the lawyer had screwed up, and
we had not caught it - our children did not come to me, but to the backup
guardians...

Bottom line? Write the original draft yourself, but do not sign anything
until checked by your legal council.