[ale] dead trees for postgresql

Andrew Newton anewton at ecotroph.net
Fri Jan 3 10:59:12 EST 2003

bn.com shows 14 books and Amazon shows 11.

I have the Momjian book "PostgreSQL: Introduction and Concepts".  It is
out of date now, but even when it was new it was just a published
version of the on-line docs.

I've seen the O'Reilly "Practical PostgreSQL" book and it looks good,
though I don't have it.  I couldn't find a compelling reason to buy it
since I already had one book.

-andy

greg at turnstep.com wrote:

>>Looks like I'll be moving forward with Postgresql for this
>>project (due to MySql's current lack of support for
>>subselects).
>>
>>As I can't tolerate reading online for more than an hour, I'd
>>really like to find a good book that will get me up to speed
>>as quickly as possible.
>>
>>Any recommendations?
>

> "PostgreSQL Introduction and Concepts" by Bruce Momjian was the
> only book around for a while, but it is out of date now.
>
> As a rule, pay close attention to the date of publication and
> don't get anything published before 2002.
>
> The only ones I found that really meet that criteria are:
>

> "PHP and PostgreSQL Advanced Web Programming"
> ISBN: 0672323826
>
> This came out in June 2002 and is supposed to be very good,
> even if you do not use the PHP part. If you are doing PHP,
> get this one.
>

> PostgreSQL
> ISBN: 0735712573
>
> This is the most recent book, but aimed towards developers,
> and probably not what you want.
>

> Sams "Teach Yourself PostgreSQL in 21 Days"
> ISBN: 0672324830

 S/MIME Cryptographic Signature