[ale] DSL switch from Directv

Ray Knight audilover at atlantabroadband.com
Fri Jan 3 00:13:23 EST 2003

On Thu, 2003-01-02 at 12:14, Dow Hurst wrote:
> I have static IP Earthlink on a home plan.  Outgoing SMTP has to go thru
> Earthlink's SMTP server.  Don't know about incoming.  Service is good.
> A bit expensive overall at $64.95/month compared to Speakeasy's minimum
> plan.  I think the bandwidth for most home use isn't as huge as issue as
> long as you've got at least 512Kbps down.  So Speakeasy's 608down and
> 128 up at 49.95 per month isn't so bad for many since you have the
> static ip.  My opinion only here, not real facts. :-)
>

> Many won't agree so no need for a big discussion.  Directv was a good
> deal for those that had it.
>
> Annual Cost (Lotta Money)
> Earthlink    1.5/256 $779.40
> Speedfactory 1.5/256 $599.40, $780.00 after 1st year
> Speakeasy    1.5/128 $719.40
> Speakeasy    608/128 $599.40
>
> Speakeasy lets you upgrade to higher bandwidth or add emails with all
> their options and plans if needed.  I've thought they would be who I
> would switch to if I ever needed to switch.
> Dow

I'm on my third year with Speakeasy, 2 1/2 years in one location and 6
months here.  The only way I could be happier is if they could offer me
something better than IDSL.  Unfortunately, even though I'm just down
the hill from KSU, IDSL is the only DSL available here.  I now have
cable access also, but it's pretty unstable.  I kept the IDSL for the
static IP's and backup.  Speakeasy tech support is world class and I
don't think their terms of service can be matched by anyone else.

Ray Knight
audilvr at speakeasy.org
audilover at atlantabroadband.com