[ale] DirecTV & BellSouth

Matty matty91 at bellsouth.net
Thu Jan 2 20:08:52 EST 2003

On Thu, 2003-01-02 at 19:30, Greg wrote:
> ok, I have heard the reason that all of the other ISP's that DirecTV
> recommends in other areas (outside of BellSouth) have offered better deals
> than BellSouth is because BellSouth would not buy the customers from
> DirecTV.  Apparently BS told them "we are not paying for the customers since
> we will get them anyway".
>
> Kinda stupid, as the gross majority of DirecTV'ers are those who are PC
> savvy and want 1)a static IP; 2)DNS hosting; and 3) a low, reasonable price.
> All of which BS does not care to offer any customers but instead tries to
> shaft them with "business" fees.

I don't think they are shafting anyone. Looking at it from a business
perspective, why pay for customers that you can acquire through
attrition? The $44.95 price tag is trying to market to residential
customers who need high speed web/news/email access. Very few of the
CLECs/iLECs will provide hosting capable services with their residential
packages.

> Greg

Ryan Matteson - UNIX Administrator
GPG ID: 1B52A210 2002-12-01 Ryan Matteson (Primary Key Pair)
<matty91 at bellsouth.net>
Public Key: http://www.daemons.net/~matty/public.asc
Detached Digital Signature: http://www.daemons.net/~matty/public.sig.asc
Fingerprint = A0B1 298E 29C4 3F26 01D5  EDFC 3D62 281F 1B52 A210