[ale] KDE vs. GNOME

Jim jcphil at mindspring.com
Thu Jan 2 18:12:50 EST 2003

On Thursday 02 January 2003 03:58 pm, Fulton Green wrote:
> Now I know how to answer. ;-)
>
> Plus I forgot that "back in the day" (circa early '90s), the window manager
> typically WAS the desktop environment (twm, mwm, fvwm, etc.).
>
> My quick thoughts:
>
> KDE: slightly more stable, more apps, but not as "themable" or flexible

As a person who wastes a lot of time getting just the right look, I can tell
you that KDE is very themeable and there are lots of people out there doing
great work on KDE themes, window decorations, backgrounds and icons. Just
take a look at kde-look.org. I've used Gnome and KDE both. In my view, KDE is
far more flexible for changing the desktop look.