[ale] DSL switch from DirecTV

Greg runman at telocity.com
Thu Jan 2 17:33:40 EST 2003

OK, I have been doing this all damm day it seems; here is some more info

Snappydsl.net
	* 1500/256 speed
	* Family Price is $59.95/month	(no DNS)(6 emails)(no web hosting space)
	* SOHO DSL is $69.95/month. Free DNS (for one domain)for 12 months
($10/month thereafter) (6 emails) (no free web space)
	* Web space is $24.95/month for 40 MB w/ a set-up fee of $24.95
	* $25* Activation with Family or SOHO DSL plan
	* OFFER EXPIRES 1/3/03 (I think this is bad - it is like the used car sales
tactic of "pressuring")
	* Need to buy a modem and/or a router
	* Their website uses ASP (M$ technology - hmmm, expensive and buggy)
	* Their use policy has stuff which allows them to edit/control content
(read censor) beyond what other ISP's have. i.e. ( SnappyDSL reserves the
right to refuse to post or to remove any information or materials, in whole
or in part, that, in SnappyDSLÂ’s sole  and absolute discretion, are
unacceptable, undesirable, or in violation of applicable law or of this
Agreement. )  - never mind your Constitution rights, just don't cross
Snappydsl !
	* Overall not hot - both Speedfactory and Speakeasy are better deals
	* Call answered by someone on drugs (downers, not amphetamines).  Had to
put me on pause just to answer simple questions.

Speedfactory
	* 1500/256 speed.  They can test you on the phone for faster
	* Extra IP's are in groups of 5 and raise the monthly fee to $119.
	* DNS hosting is $5.00/month for 1 IP
	* $49.95 for a year going to $65.95
	* Need to buy a router.  They will configure and send it to you. It is
yours.
	* No automated way to change emails - you have to email them.
	* Both calls answered fast by competent persons

Speakeasy
	* email/member site is https, while speedfactory's is not
	* Additional Services:
		* Static IP Address: $2.95
		* Shell Account: $5.00
		* Email Address: $2.95
		* Unlimited Dialup: $19.95

If any more Directv refuges care, I have all this in a spreadsheet (yeah,
it's MS Excel)

Greg Canter