[ale] KDE vs. GNOME

Fulton Green ale at FultonGreen.com
Thu Jan 2 15:58:09 EST 2003

Now I know how to answer. ;-)

Plus I forgot that "back in the day" (circa early '90s), the window manager
typically WAS the desktop environment (twm, mwm, fvwm, etc.).

My quick thoughts:

KDE: slightly more stable, more apps, but not as "themable" or flexible
GNOME 2: better modularity, more advanced theming, but still C-based (as
         opposed to C++-based)

I think Red Hat's now trying to unify the theming engines for KDE and
GNOME 2, though, and there are now plenty of language bindings for
developing both GNOME apps and KDE apps (though I don't know of one that's a
"write once, GUI everywhere" type).  But as far as the source code for the
desktop system itself, KDE is C++-based, whereas GNOME is C-based.  There
are tradeoffs with either approach.

When I used to run on a 266 MHz-based laptop, KDE seemed slightly faster
in app response time, particularly with menu selections.