[ale] project help - postgres or mysql?

John Wells jb at sourceillustrated.com
Thu Jan 2 15:55:50 EST 2003

I've verified that no T-sql functionality is exploited in the app...it's
an old legacy app and doesn't do any heavy database cruching...just
storage and retrieval.

As far as subqueries go, they're planned for MySql 4.1.  The current
application does rely on them somewhat, and since mysql 4.0-stable isn't
out yet, it may be prudent to go with Postgres.

Regarding transactions, concurrency and foreign keys, MySql currently
supports all (full ACID guarantees) through the use of the InnoDB storage
engine (beginning with 4.0, InnoDB will no longer be considered
"experimental").

I guess my real concern with Postgres is speed.  I've read varying reports
of how well it does.  Some say it equals or surpasses mysql, others say
the opposite.

I've done quite a bit of development with mysql in the past and am fairly
comfortable with it...I've done none with Postgres (although have done
some with Ingres).  I also know MySql to be *fast*.

But, if Postgres would be the "easiest" at this time, and because who
knows when MySql 4.1 will be out, I may have to go that route.

Thanks,

John