[ale] DSL switch from Directv

Jordi S. Bunster j.bunster at earthlink.net
Thu Jan 2 12:54:35 EST 2003

I recently signed up for Earthlink home ADSL stuff. Nice service. They ship
you a DSL "modem" that grabs the ip and NATs the connection, so the machine
connected to it gets a non routeable (private) ip. Yep. You don't even need
PPPoE, because the device does that part. All you do is raise your ethernet
interface with DHCP.

And I have it plugged into a machine I set up for sharing the connection
here. So I was doing NAT of NAT, until I discovered a web site that teaches
how to set their DSL "modem" to bridge mode, and then get the real IP. For
that mode, though, you need a PPPoE process running. In moments of intense
traffic, CPU usage of pppd goes to 15% on my P-133 underclocked to 100Mhz.

Connection drops every now and then (every 400 and so minutes), but nobody in
the network notices, because it instantly "dials up" again, and the ipmasq
rules are recalculated. So we see a speed decrease, and after 5 seconds, up
again. Once in a while. Not a big deal.