[ale] SNARE?

Greg runman at telocity.com
Thu Jan 2 09:12:38 EST 2003

Hello, Doug:

First off - glad to see you are not double posting !!

Well, as much as it hurts to say this, crackers have rights also.  Just as
you cannot rig a shotgun to protect a shack (the judicial ruling was based
on using deadly force to protect property, which is illegal, as deadly force
can only be used when one believes that one's life is in danger) , you
cannot trash someone's PC just because they tried to get into yours.

Of course, if you don't think that either 1) you will be prosecuted or
2)your attacker and/or his/her friends are more of a threat than you are to
them, then go for it.  However, I recall a while back Steve Gibson (the
security "guru") was DoS'd due to pissing some kids off.  So, I guess I am
saying to make sure you have some serious cyber foo before going off
half-cocked, and even so what are *you* going to do if you do get DoS'd ?

All law enforcement agencies as well as legal systems take a jaundiced view
of vigilantism.  Just as the RIAA and MPA have been beaten back for trying
to do what you are trying to do, I would suggest to tread lightly.  Besides,
the person in Hamburg might be somewhere else - like here, and if someone's
logs (i.e. they are working inside of someone else's system) show you trying
to get into their system, you might be in deep sh** if that someone else is
a large company.

But it is up to you.  If you aren't some mega guru with strong foo, then it
might be simpler to just buy Bob Toxen's book (as I have done - thanks for a
great & practical tome, Bob!!) and start reading it.

Of course if they break into your system and steal a PC virus that makes
their PC catch on fire/explode and then turns random limbs on their twisted
little cracker bodies black and fall off, then that is a different matter.
And btw I would hope that you GPL this virus and make it available to ALE !

Greg Canter