[ale] ATI Radeon 9000 - works with RH7.3 FWIW

J.M. Taylor jtaylor at onlinea.com
Wed Jan 1 16:12:47 EST 2003

Just bought one of these because I couldn't remember if it was Nvidia or
ATI that I had problems configuring for linux in the past. *sigh*

Yes, ATI offers drivers as long as you're running XFree 4.1 or 4.2 and
have glibc6.2. They offer very detailed instructions for installing to
RedHat and Suse, and if you run anything else you're pretty much on your
own.  :(

I'm running RH7.3 with its default kernel. The ATI drivers installed fine
(and tainted the kernel with non open source code! i feel so ashamed).
There was some convincing to do to get it to actually work, I had to edit
the X config file by hand after using the ATI tool to generate it, but it
wasn't too terrible.

So far, really good results.  I don't really play games much so can't
attest to its hardware 3D acceleration and all that (the Chromium shooter
thingy is really pretty).  I can tell you that it's VERY nice to not be
running X framebuffered, and to be able to get 1280x1024 (and much much
better if I could see the tiny writing) at 24 bit colour.

So, yes ATI's Radeon AGP series will work. If you have ATI's recommended
distro/kernel. And lots of luck. I think you could easily get as good (or
better) results out of another, better-supported card.

HTH
jenn
--
Jenn Taylor