[ale] RH8.0: first impressions & QUESTION about KDE

ChangingLINKS.com x3 at ChangingLINKS.com
Fri Feb 28 22:02:29 EST 2003

I held my tongue when you said that you were getting RH8.0. I did not know
that you were leaving SuSe 8.1. RedHat 8.0 is slooooooooooow. I still have it
on the wife's box but she needs not the speed.

The sound card will be picked up, like setting up printers, it is easy in
RH8.0. Also, try *using* the sound, if you haven't already - it may surpise
you by working.

I would suggest you go back to Suse 8.1 or upgrade to RedHat 8.1 beta (I have
directions on how to do that if you are interested).

Suse 8.1 is the first time I really experienced Linux as I THOUGHT IT SHOULD
BE. Installation over the 'Net, Easy to configure, very fast, very very
stable. I can run everything that I need (except display drivers) thanks to
Geoffrey for showing me around a bit. Everyday, I find something more amazing

BUT:

KDE under SUSE is a better choice. I accept that.
1. How do you keep the tasks separated?
There seems to be no regard for which desktop number I am selecting. It still
puts all of the same program in one selection bar at the bottom of the
screen. I want them to stay separate so I don't have to select it so
carefully. For example, currently, if I open 4 vims, it will put them all in
a selection menu - To return to one that I want, I must click the "vim
cluster" then read carefully which vim I want, and click it from the pop up
menu. That defeats the purpose of having "virtual desktops." I cannot
separate it by simply putting it in a different desktop.

On Friday 28 February 2003 6:28 pm, Joe wrote:
> Got the ISOs, burnt them, blew Slack 8.1 off of my laptop and fired up the
> Anaconda installer.
>
> The good:
>
> - Very simple install.
> - Very nice looking screens all over the place.
> - Detected and set up the video, display, mouse, and kbd correctly, first
> try.
>
> The bad:
>
> - Good lord, it's slow. I don't know how they did it, but they figured out
> how to make Linux perform like Windows.
> - It has no clue about the sound (which is 100% SB compatible).
> - It has no clue about my PRISM2 802.11b card. I was using the wlan-ng
> driver with it under Slack, but RH doesn't include wlan-ng, so it's
> trying to use the wvlan_cs driver. I've made that work before, but
> not with WEP, and RH doesn't know how to configure PCMCIA netcards
> (or so it seems).
>
> [OK, I just found the "Internet Connection Wizard", which seems to want
> to let me set my WEP key and ESSID, but it still won't hook up with
> my AP... grr. It keeps resetting the ESSID to "non-spec".]
>
> All in all, I'm a bit disappointed so far. Maybe I need to give it
> time.
>
> Cheers,
>
> -- Joe Knapka

Drew Brown