[ale] Agh! Can't download RH ISOs

Joe jknapka at earthlink.net
Fri Feb 28 09:06:03 EST 2003

Mike Lockhart <backpacker at hikers.net> writes:

> I'm with Thomas on this one, use wget or links.  wget supports http
> based authentication, whereas links supports session cookies and other
> authentication methods that lynx does not.

Lynx seemed to work fine for this, other than using /tmp when I
didn't want it to (problem solvable using TMPDIR env var).

The really aggravating thing is that RHN explicitly recommends using
curl -- and it doesn't work. That's the kind of thing I'd expect from
Microshaft. Maybe I have a too-old version of curl, but I'd be
surprised - I'm using 7.9.4, which shipped with Slack 8.1.

I assume that by suggesting wget, you're implying I could just
give wget my userid and password? Would that still work, given
that:

(a) This is an https site, and

(b) RH apparently generates a new URL for the ISOs every time you open
the page containing the ISO links, and that URL encodes some security
information?

Cheers,

-- Joe Knapka

> On Thu, 2003-02-27 at 17:43, Joe wrote:
> > Hey folks,
> >
> > I just blew $60 on a RH network subscription. So I'm trying to download the
> > ISOs so I can burn them. It's a simple request: I want to download the
> > images to my home directory, which has a large number of free GB.
> >
> > But both Mozilla and Lynx insist upon downloading the images to /tmp
> > and moving them to my home directory. That doesn't work; /tmp is on
> > a partition with only about .5GB free. Sure, I could move it, but
> > what a pain; and I shouldn't *have* to.
> >
> > The RHN instructions say, "Please copy the URL for your ISO image into
> > this curl command:
> >
> > curl -C - -O <the URL>"
> >
> > But that doesn't work. When I try it, curl downloads a page that says,
> > "Nyah nyah, you aren't authorized, you thieving maggot", or something
> > similar. (Actually, it says, "[Blah blah,] your session has expired,
> > please sign in again" -- but if I do that and then try the curl
> > command on the URLs in the new page, the exact same thing happens.)
> >
> > Any suggestions?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > -- Joe Knapka

  "I'd rather chew my leg off than maintain Java code, which
   sucks, 'cause I have a lot of Java code to maintain and
   the leg surgery is starting to get expensive." - Me