[ale] (OT) 1 million

cfowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Thu Feb 27 10:26:13 EST 2003

On Thu, 2003-02-27 at 10:15, John Wells wrote:
> I was thinking the same thing.  I'd love to help RH out, but I can't
> really afford $60 for all my boxes currently. I'd like to pay for one and
> then use it as an apt-rpm server for others.
>
> Problem is, rhn uses a profile to know what your machine needs, and that's
> nice to have.  I wonder if this (http://www.nrh-up2date.org/) handles
> profiles well?

Not all boxes need to be updated.  If you are using an auto update
system and you modify a production machine or development environment
you could be bitten.  I've been bitten a few times.

> John
>
> James P. Kinney III said:
> > Sure. Install EVERYTHING on one registered, paid for box, save all the
> > downloads instead of delete after installation. Point your other
> > machines at that one using a different system like autorpm.
> >
> > I don't see an problem with this route on a home lan with a bunch of
> > personal RedHat boxes. For commercial installations, coughing over the
> > cash to RedHat is a good business practice. Then replicate the same
> > process for the business LAN.
> >
> > The only headache with this on a commercially supported setup is all of
> > mine are rather customized and so the installation of upgrades has to be
> > tested before roll out.
> >
> > On Thu, 2003-02-27 at 10:05, cfowler wrote:
> >> They also stated that Basic entitlements are now Demo and will not
> >> last forever like Basic.  I wish I could play one flat fee for all my
> >> systems.  Mybe I should look into that.

"The Law of Leaky Abstractions"
There is a time where abstractions lead to the inablity to
fix problems that leak through the abstraction.
http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/LeakyAbstractions.html