[ale] Problem with monitor cord extension

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Thu Feb 27 09:47:51 EST 2003

$40 for a 25' vga cable puts it in the low end category. If the monitor
frequency is low enough, it won't show the wavy line and jiggly stuff of
noise in the cable.  What the high end cables do is bundle the internal
wires like a bunch of tiny coax cables for the RGB lines. This is
similar to the Sun and SGI monitor cables, but without the mini RCA jack
connectors.

Interference can come from a UPS as it has a large transformer that make
a big magnetic field at 60Hz. Also, high frequencies tend to "leak"
(they're not bounded by the wire, they have frequency/space domains that
are larger than the physical copper which is why they are often run in
coax).  You might be able to clean up the signal by repositioning the
cable. A poor mans coax can be made by wrapping the entire length of
cable with extra-heavy duty foil and tightly sealing the long seam down
the length of the cable and grounding the foil covering to the PC
chassis. It won't stop magnetic interference, but it will stop electric
field cross-talk for nearby wires.