[ale] OT: Job Market in Savannah (and other coastal communities)...

Joe jknapka at earthlink.net
Wed Feb 26 11:34:01 EST 2003

Geoffrey <esoteric at 3times25.net> writes:

> Thanks for the link.
>
> Has anyone considered contacting an out of state job opportunity and
> asked if they would consider a remote solution?  I've worked remote
> for the past 5 years and have been very successful.  As a matter of
> fact, I was the technical team lead for a small team of developers
> that was spread across 4 states and we were highly recognized (and
> rewarded) for our contributions.
>
> Anyone else out there work for someone who supports either complete
> remote works (virtual office) or telecommuting on a regular basis (2-3
> days a week)?

I've been telecommuting full-time for the past 3.5 years, and before
that I was telecommuting about 50% of the time. It works great for
me. My company, TransCore Intelligent Traffic Systems, Inc., has a
major software development facility in Norcross, which is my nominal
home office. I'm not sure if we're hiring right now or not, but if we
are it will be for either MS C++/Visual Studio work, or Java; we also
have a bunch of C and Fortran code on OpenVMS that needs to be
maintained. We could *really* use a good, certified Oracle DBA, too,
preferably one with experience with high-availability and failover
scenarios, and with Oracle on OpenVMS. I might be able to push for a
hire in that area, since I'm the de-facto Oracle "expert" at the
moment (having taken the OCP DBA class five years ago). I really hate
database administration, and would love to push all that stuff off on
someone else, if I could be confident they'd do a better job at it
than me :-) If you're interested in that, send me a resume and I'll
push it up the ladder, if it looks good. I can't promise anything,
though.

Cheers,

-- Joe Knapka