[ale] quatriple boot

cfowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Wed Feb 26 08:58:03 EST 2003

On Wed, 2003-02-26 at 00:03, miguel wrote:
> hello alers,
>
> i am gonna try installing IN THE SAME hd:
>
> 1. winXP
 /dev/hda1
> 2. debian

/dev/hda6
> 3. slackware
/dev/hda7
> 4. gentoo
/dev/hda8

/dev/hda9 is a swap FS that all version of Linux can share.  IT is
possible to use a loop device as swap instead of a partition.

I'm not sure whay you would want 3 distributions of the same OS.  Linux
is Linux.  A Distribution just assemblies the pieces a little
different.  But it is a great learning opp on booting and muitl-os, and
other goodies.  Grub will handle these as well.  Also undestand that
normally you do not have /dev/hda6.  What you have to do is create a
extended partition and then install those disitis in partitions there.
You can do this without the extended partition but your max if 4.  so
you will not have one for SWAP.

After you get all installed, Choose one Linux partition and allow that
to hold your grub data.

.

> is this possible? if so is the above order recommened?
>
> thanks in adv.
> -miguel

"The Law of Leaky Abstractions"
There is a time where abstractions lead to the inablity to
fix problems that leak through the abstraction.
http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/LeakyAbstractions.html