[ale] Terabyte of data

Robert L. Harris Robert.L.Harris at rdlg.net
Wed Feb 26 08:41:03 EST 2003

  My systems are Dual-AMD-1.5Ghz.  They're main duty is to share out 4
550Gig Software RAID5 arrays.  Now, I'm doing RAID5 as I need alot of
disk space with some redundancy.  The filesystem speed is actually very
fast even with a single disk failure.  I went from 1 large 2TB array to
the 4 smaller arrays as we hit the disks very hard and the odds of
loosing 2 disks in the same array are much higher when there's only 1.
The systems have been around a while and the IDE disks are approaching
MTBF.  I had one system with 2 failed disks recently in 2 different
arrays.  While 2 of my 4 Software RAID arrays were running in degraded
moded sharing out NFS disks for read and write, the CPU's were still
pretty close to idle.  If these were Hardware raid they would have been
idle of course.

  My personal opinion would be to talk to Mr Kinney and see what he
would come up with.  When I talked to him he didn't just throw numbers,
he had some very valid information and actual specs to use.
Unfortunately I'm STILL fighting my company to look at a vendor outside
the guys in Canada.

Robert

Thus spake cfowler (cfowler at outpostsentinel.com):