[ale] Lindows vs the semi-annual Windows suck-a-thon

Marvin Dickens mpdickens at tlanta.com
Tue Feb 25 16:08:31 EST 2003

On Tue, 25 Feb 2003 23:59:29 -0500
miguel <miguelq at bellsouth.net> wrote the following:

> try lycoris distro..very windowie looking....

I've been following this thread with a great deal of interest... Thing is,
even after carefully re-reading the thread, I still don't understand why anyone would want install an interface that looks like windows on a linux installation, even for use by a windows user. It defeats the central purposes of of switching to any *NIX variant from windows. They are, at least in my opinion, technological superiority, productivity gains and an emotional/psychological understanding that windows is weak.

It has been my experience that if you take a windows user and put them on a well configured kde desktop, they have no problems and further, after an hour or so they are comfortable and just as productive as they were in the windows environment. From there, these users become more productive (In a matter of hours...) than with windows. In the event applications are an issue there is always wine, which appears to be included in every major distribution.

Please note that I'm not talking about someone who is gonna hack the installation in an attempt to understand/configure the system: These users
trash the installation (While learning how it works, which is a good thing, but as a consiquence, the learning curve is painful at firts). I'm talking about typical users who don't give a damn how it works, they just want it to work without problems.

PS: I've not configured a dictionary into slypheed yet (Just downloaded/installed it), so if this post is full of mispelled words, so sorry...

Best

Marvin