[ale] voting machine redux

Joe jknapka at earthlink.net
Tue Feb 25 09:48:15 EST 2003

"Michael D. Hirsch" <mhirsch at nubridges.com> writes:

> Interesting article on Salon that touches on many of the issues surrounding
> voting machines discussed here last year, and some we missed.  The author
> does talk a lot about the lack of audit trail most of us are aware of with
> computerized voting.  More interesting to me was a Senator that holds a
> major stake in the voting machine company that tabulates the votes in his
> own state.  And he won in a landslide.   Hmmm.
>
> I was amused by this:
>
>     Harris has discovered, for example, that Diebold, the company that
>     supplied touch-screen voting machines to Georgia during the 2002
>     election, made its system's sensitive software files available on a
>     public Internet site.
>
> It is said like that's a bad thing!  I say, "Kudos to Diebold".  If I were
> on the elections commission I would say that is a prerequisite for any
> voting software.

It's frustrating, but the vast majority of normal folks have such a
strong association between "secrecy" and "security" that it will be
very difficult to change that attitude. Anyone with even a passing
interest in cryptography will associate *transparency* with security,
but it's hard to see how to make the public at large get that connection.

-- Joe Knapka