[ale] Lindows vs the semi-annual Windows suck-a-thon

Greg runman at speedfactory.net
Mon Feb 24 17:15:46 EST 2003

Using Gnome with the "Redmond" them is pretty Windows-like I think.  You
also might want to try Lycoris.  It is supposedly another distro that is
really easy.

On the GPL issue, well, I *think* that Lindows, Inc interprets the GPL to
say that they have to provide the source code to USERS only, and in order to
be a user you need to pay at least $49.00 for the OS.  Their EULA (!??!)
says this also (note the  first sentence "source code" ???)

2. PROPRIETARY RIGHTS.

All right, title and interest in LindowsOS, including source code,
documentation, appearance, structure and organization, are held by Lindows
and/or its licensors and are protected by copyright and other laws. You may
not copy or otherwise use LindowsOS, in whole or in part, except as
expressly permitted in this Agreement. Title to LindowsOS, or to any copy,
modification or merged portion of any of the Software Programs, shall at all
times remain with Lindows and/or its licensors, subject to the terms of the
applicable Third Party Agreement(s) to the Software Programs under
consideration.

also, per the link: http://www.lindows.com/lindows_products_license.php :

The GNU General Public License (GPL) requires that for any software covered
under the GPL which is distributed to someone in an executable binary
format, that the source code also be made available to those users. Those
who have received from Lindows.com the binaries for any GPL'd software can
also find the source code available for download in their my.lindows.com
account.

I am wondering if the FSF has grounds for suing Lindows.  I know that MS is
doing so - but for trademark infringement.

Greg